Mark your calendars for: Sept. 30 through Oct. 3!
Raging Wool is beyond excited to host a four-day weaving weekend, right here in the Miami / Fort Lauderdale area!
Nationally known weaving expert Deborah Jarchow will be onsite to teach each three (3) different weaving classes, and each day will offer food, beverages, a discount on materials, and of course a ton of fun. You can learn more about Deborah (and just why we're so excited to have her here) in her video (below). (Photo: Deborah Jarchow, left, and Alice Clary, owner of Raging Wool Shop.)
Deborah will offer three classes in our shop. Here are some details:
- You must know how to weave, or have taken our Intro To Weaving Class before attending any of these workshop classes.
- You may bring your own loom. Please bring a loom appropriate for the class you’ve selected (see details in class description). Raging Wool will provide looms for in-store use and are available for purchase.
- Food & beverage provided at each workshop
- All workshops start at 10 a.m. with a light welcome breakfast and time for material shopping.
- All attendees will receive 10% off materials during the workshop.
- Early Booking Bonus: Register in August and your materials discount increases to 25% off and you’ll receive a Raging Wool swag bag!
- We offer a multiple-class discounts! (See our registration page for details).
Here’s the schedule:
- Class Level: Advanced Beginner
- Description: Learn how to weave your
own thirsty dish towels in colors that suit your decor. During class, you
will warp the loom and weave two small towels and learn how to put the finishing
touches on them at home. Don’t miss this chance to enhance your kitchen
with beautiful hand crafted towels!
- Supplies: Unmercerized DK-Worsted cotton yarn in 4 to 5 colors. 60 yards each of 4 different colors, 200 yards additional of 1 color. Kits will be available in-store. Rigid Heddle loom with at least 10” weaving width, 7.5 or 8 dent reed, and weaving tools (sley/threading hook, clamps, warping peg, shuttle). We request that you purchase materials from Raging Wool Shop; looms are available for in-shop use and purchase.
- Class Time: Class begins at 10 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 30 at the Raging Wool Shop with Deborah instructing. After official class time is over, feel free to stay until shop-closing time to finish your project.
Description: By twisting or wrapping your warp yarns, you can weave distinctive textures and patterns in your cloth. Learn to weave lace-like open areas as parts of a design throughout the fabric or as a notable edge treatment. You’ll learn how to make leno, brooks bouquet, and other fancy patterns.
Supplies: 400 yards of smooth, at least 2 ply, worsted weight yarn that is strong and not fuzzy (can be 200 yards each of 2 different colors), pick up stick, if you have (available for purchase in-store, too). Kits will be available in-store. We request that you purchase materials from Raging Wool Shop; looms are available for in-shop use and purchase.
Class Time: Class begins at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 1, 2016 at the Raging Wool Shop with Deborah instructing. After official class time is over, feel free to stay until shop-closing time to finish your project.
- Class Level: Intermediate (You should be a confidant weaver for this class.)
- Description: Expand your weaving skills and make two layers in your cloth on the rigid heddle loom. While weaving, the layers can be connected in various ways to make cloth twice the width of your loom, create tubes, or pockets. Participants will make a sampler while exploring this process. During the workshop they will learn to thread the loom using two heddles and then weave the layers in various ways. This workshop is for students that have some experience with the rigid heddle and want to move on to the next level. Students will warp the looms and learn how to set up and thread both heddles to enable the double heddle weaving. Then they will weave cloth at double the sett of the heddle used and create various beautiful patterns that the extra heddle makes possible. They will also learn how to create 2 layers of cloth, each a different color, learn how to make pockets or tubes in the woven cloth.
- Supplies: Loom with at least and 10” weaving width that is able to accommodate 2 heddles, two 10 dent reeds 4 pick up sticks, 2 shuttles (with bobbins), 600 yards each of 2 contrasting colors of 5/2 cotton or DK weight yarn. Kits will be available in-store. If students want to bring worsted weight yarn, they will need 2, 7.5 or 8 dent reeds. We request that you purchase materials from Raging Wool Shop; looms are available for in-shop use and purchase.
- Class Time: Class begins each day at 10 a.m. on Sunday and Monday, Oct. 2 & 3, 2016 at the Raging Wool Shop with Deborah instructing. After official class time is over, feel free to stay until shop-closing time to work on your project. If you don’t complete your project and used a Raging Wool provided loom, we will keep your project and you may come back to the store to finish it at your convenience.
Coming soon will be our very own Q&A with Deborah - do you have a question you'd like to ask? Let us know! In the meantime, take a look at Deborah's video below, and find out why we're so excited for this Fall Weaving Workshop at the Raging Wool!